Canberra Captain Aaron Bruce has been ruled out of the remainder of the 2019 season after undergoing surgery on his broken arm earlier this week.
The 29-year-old left the field in the third term of Saturday’s loss to Sydney University after attempting to smother a shot on goal and was immediately transferred to Northwest Hospital for assessment.
Bruce then met with a specialist on Monday and based on the advice received, the decision was made to operate and sit out the remaining two games of the NEAFL season.
Canberra General Manager of Football Shaun Young said this approach will allow Bruce to make a full recovery ahead of the 2020 season.
“While it is disappointing we won’t see Aaron on the field again this year, our main focus is ensuring we look after his wellbeing and give him sufficient time to recover,” Young said.